Brooks Carers are aware of the funding issues which can arise when considering social care support.

It is vital that independent financial advice is sought and we at Brooks believe the earlier the better so as to ensure a fully informed decision can be made.

Local Authority Support

Service users and families may be able to fund themselves although many people are eligible to receive some support from their local authority. Your local authority should be your first information source and can signpost you to various organisations which can assist you, your family or a representative acting on your behalf. All social care support is subject to a means test and the criteria is set annually by parliament.  An assessment of need is completed by your local authority also.

Private Care

Private Care or self-funded care is when you pay for your own care and arrange for an assessment of your care needs by an assessor from a care company. This is a private contractual arrangement between yourself and a care company. This normally occurs when you are unable to access funding from another source or choose to pay for your own care. An Assessor will be able to guide you to a package of care that is mutually acceptable. All care has underlining principles of Health and Safety which have to be adhered to within this assessment.

Self-funding Service Users receive a contract with Brooks Care outlining terms and conditions. Each week you will receive an invoice for the cost of the previous weeks care this can be settled by BACS payment or cheque. The invoice can be sent to the Service User or a family member which can be arranged at assessment or at a later date.

We use the Fair Access to Care Criteria to band our service users. This system is set by the Department of Health and ensures that a fair and equitable free structure is in place. Our services are charged at an hourly rate. Please call our office to request a brochure which sets out all our time bands and prices.

Further information about funding is available on website

Social Services funding

Social Services funding is initiated by an assessment for care by a Social Worker who will visit and assess your care needs. A financial assessment is completed at assessment, all Social Services is means tested. The care is then organised by the social worker with a care company. Once you have been assessed as needing care you can then apply to have Direct Payments this is when you have control of your funding and can choose a care company to deliver your care, so you pay the care provider direct rather than the local council pay for your care.

Contact details for: Castle Point, Rayleigh, Rochford

For a Social Services referral:

Essex Social Services – 03457 430 430 / 01245 430 430

Contact details for Southend:

Adult Social Services – 01702 215 008

Direct payments information –

NHS Continuing Healthcare funding (CHC)

A package of care which is provided and funded solely by the NHS commissioned by your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). This awarded to eligible adults and older people to meet the needs that have occurred due to illness, disability or illness. The eligibility criteria is completed by a Health Professional involved in your care and normally reassessed by a CHC Clinical Assessor within 12 weeks. The care is commissioned by the CCG and delivered by a care company if you wish to remain in your own home.

Castle Point and Rochford CCG

Pearl House

12 Castle Road




Continuing Healthcare: 01268 464550

Southend CCG

Harcourt House

5 – 15 Harcourt Avenue

Southend on Sea



Free Assessment

Our free assessment includes a discussion on funding and will give you choices to enable you to access any funding streams available. Following your assessment, we are able to plan the cost of your care with you by printing out an individual service arrangement to show a weekly breakdown of cost. To arrange a free assessment please call or email us direct at:

  • 01268 761 459